This article describes how to disable the Customer Experience Improvement Program (CEIP) feature in Microsoft Office Communicator 2005.
To disable the Customer Experience Improvement Program (CEIP) feature, use one of the following methods.
Method 1: In Communicator 2005
To disable CEIP in Communicator 2005, follow these steps:
- Start Communicator 2005.
- On the Actions menu, click Options.
- On the General tab, click to clear the Allow Microsoft to collect anonymous information about how I use Communicator check box under Quality, and then click OK.
Method 2: In the Communicator.adm file
If you are an administrator, you can use the Specify instrumentation
policy in the Communicator.adm file to disable CEIP in Communicator 2005.
If this policy is set to
, the Allow Microsoft to collect anonymous information about how I use Communicator
check box will not be available. Therefore, users cannot enable the feature. Additionally, data will not be collected on the computer.
If you do not see the Communicator 2005 folder under the Administrative folder in the Group Policy management console, you must add the Communicator.adm file to the Group Policy object (GPO). To do this, follow these steps:
- Click Start, click Run, type gpedit.msc in the Open box, and then click OK.
- Expand User Configuration or Computer Configuration.
- Right-click Administrative Templates, click Add/Remove Templates, and then click Add.
- In the %windir%\inf folder, click the Communicator.adm file, click Open, and then click Close.
- Expand Administrative Templates.
- Expand Microsoft Office Communicator Policy Settings.
- Under Settings, right-click Specify instrumentation, and then click Properties.
- On the Settings tab, click Disabled, and then click OK.
- On the File menu, click Exit to exit the Group Policy Object Editor.
Method 3: In the registryWarning
Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall the operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk.
To use Registry Editor to disable CEIP in Communicator 2005, follow these steps:
- Sign out, and then exit Communicator 2005.
- Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
- Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
- After you select the subkey that is specified in step 3, point to New on the Edit menu, and then click DWORD Value.
- Type CEIP, and then press ENTER.
- Right-click CEIP, and then click Modify.
- In the Value data box, type 2, and then click OK.
- On the File menu, click Exit to exit Registry Editor.
Article ID: 933413 - Last Review: April 19, 2007 - Revision: 1.1
- Microsoft Office Communicator 2005
|kbexpertiseinter kbhowto KB933413|